Wednesday 17 February 2010

'I AM HIP HOP'

This is a conversation via e-mail between me and my brother, and I was wondering where my inspiration to start a blog came from and then almost instantly I remembered enjoy (I hope lol) …

From: Yard Kat
Sent: 04 November 2009 16:17
To: Maintain
Subject: RE: hiphopdx.com

I seen, but what do you think ?

I have formed my own opinion and it’s interesting.
I also heard Beanie on the radio and I can fully understand where he is coming from, as I have been there.

Funny enough the dj who broadcasted the interview has now been sacked.

Added to this is 50 cents angle on it. He comes from a very interesting point; strangely enough I can understand it.

Let me know what you think?

From: Maintain
Sent: 04 November 2009 16:25
To: Yard Kat
Subject: RE: hiphopdx.com

I think Siegel has no one to blame but himself, he has been (and for a long time) widely recognised as one of the strongest MC’s in the game.
I think he lacked work ethic and now he’s sour grapes, I’m not one of JayZ’s greatest fans but I cant help but notice the flak he’s taken since
He ran Def Jam etc.

The guy who interviewed him had that coming I remember when he interviewed Cassie and his behaviour toward her was disgusting.

And 50 ha ha ha ha that dude is struggling (music wise) so of course he’s going to have his cent’s worth ;)

From: Yard Kat
Sent: 04 November 2009 16:44
To: Maintain
Subject: RE: hiphopdx.com

I agree with you up to a point, but I think that what a lot of people see with Jay is the more sophisticated side. Jay has always been a bit of a Don King with his business practises.
Look at his past he has never taken people with him, when he progresses. A lot of these guys have this sense of loyalty and I think jay inspires them, but he also pimps his artist. Check out Kayne’s track. Big Brother. By the way he is one artist that jay is supportive of, maybe because of his work ethic also.

A lot of these artists come from the hood and to me the JayZ model is similar to Puff Daddy’s, there is no legacy. No one to follow, the king is dead… fight for what‘s left.

50 and Akon have a different model, 50 I think appealed more to his artist as it gave them a chance to shine. From my understanding his accountant informed him that he was the only one his label making money. When he called a team meeting only a few of the artist were promoting the merchandise. He immediately changed his approach and got the artist to do more work themselves. Helping them to develop there business understanding, nether less to say most failed.

The DJ was crass, but he was what his audience wanted. He had a different level of sensibility you know some people love to appeal to the lowest common, as that is where you have the largest audience.

Back to Beanie he is hurt and frustrated, because he has defiantly got the skills as an artist, but was never really that marketable. I think the split was oblivious from the film State Property, which was rubbish. One part of the label was going more ghetto (stagnating) and the other side more creative.
Beanie needs to have that conversation, but as Jay said “he’s on to the next one…”
I still have clip of him beating down a reporter.

I have time for Jay, I have grown appreciate his development, as a man and an artist.

From: Maintain
Sent: 04 November 2009 16:52
To: Yard Kat
Subject: RE: hiphopdx.com

I know about JayZ and all his ills from ideas he’s ripped and made his own and the way he went behind Dame Dash’s back with Lyor Cohen (allegedly).
Imo I think Beanie Siegel has no one to blame but himself, Kanye is a perfect example everyone told him that lyrically he’s wack (which he is lol) and just focus
On giving us beats they even suggested him putting out an album and letting Cam’ron do the majority of the vocals.

But he never gave up and is now giving JayZ artistic direction, Jay’s even dressing like him now.

50 from what I’ve seen definitely trys to support his artists but form listening to Buck, Banks & Yayo they just haven’t got that lil extra like the Jadakiss dilemma he’s great but he cant make a song.

Beanie needs to man and make something of his talent.

From: Yard Kat
Sent: 04 November 2009 17:08
To: Maintain
Subject: RE: hiphopdx.com

Again, I agree, but Kayne was a man that just needed that break he has all the talent. As I say to Deon and Adrian he reminds me of them.
JayZ has the capacity and the vision.

There are other artists like Kayne, but who have not got that break and may never get it, I think the HipHop cartel is keeping them out.

I think Beanie has gone as far as he can. The label needed Jay more than he needed them. The music is a part of it, but only a small part of it.
HipHop has grown up and a lot of artist and fans just have not.

From: Maintain
Sent: 05 November 2009 09:57
To: Yard Kat
Subject: RE: hiphopdx.com

As a beat maker Kanye is one of the best I’ve heard as a rapper is still think there’s room for improvement.
You’ve got to commend him for sticking at it and believing because there are a lot of artists who would have taken the advice (if you can call it that) Dame & Jay were giving him.

There are a lot of artists out there, Black Milk being one of them who have everything in order but the consumers ears are so conditioned nowadays that you have to sound like weezy etc to sell

I partly blame Dj’s like my self because I conform, I want people in my club so I play music I’ll never listen to at home is that being business savvy? Or am I being fake?

I think Beanie should put his head down because there are a lot of artists that would still work with him, and put out some quality music nuff said.
Nas got at Jay in Ether with a line that touched a nerve because everyone knows of Beanie’s talent.

What you think, you getting girls now 'cause of your looks?
N3-gr0 please
You no mustache having, with whiskers like a rat
Compared to Beans you wack

I think business wise HIP HOP has grown up a lot and is at the forefront of music, but fans like me like what we like and will never settle for Souja boi but can understand it, there was the Humpty Dance which I loved :)

From: Yard Kat
Sent: 05 November 2009 10:41
To: Maintain
Subject: RE: hiphopdx.com

You need to blog some of this “ I AM HIP-HOP”

You have knowledge and overstanding …
Agree with all your comments and I would like to add, what leaders are doing now are being market savvy.

Kayne, WilliiAM and others are about your age and business smart. They know that HIP HOOP was always eclectic and took its beats from all music formats.
Like you they have evolved kayne is not the most gifted rapper, but he has great ideas, which he can package and sell in today’s market which is reliant on the internet for that immediate fix. Who else can get the president of the US to respond to your antics?

Black EYE Peas have travelled the world, got seriously influenced by the UK and repackaged this for the US and the rest of the world.

Black Milk, you got me into him, downloaded his music and he is good, but the Cartel have to keep artist like him out so they can feed.

As for Nas, reminds me of Beanie, one of the best, but …
Love Beanie, he needs this as his therapy and he has to move on. He seems to be making links with 50 who knows …
One of my favourites is immortal Technique, but …

The whole club, radio debate is one to have. DJ’s have to entertain, but the radio dj’s job was to educate and give new artist their break. That was the job of the underground dj.
Everyone is playing safe and wanting to go mainstream, hence the bland situation with music.
Playlist and more playlist, music exchanged, but none really owned.
Remember what it was like going to the record shop listening, buying the music and playing it at home.

I like listening to these new acts in particular from the UK… They are using technology, but …

Overall what I like about this whole incident is it creates discussion.

Also have you noticed how Puff has been really quiet since Shine was released …

1 comment:

  1. Wow what an article EXtremely insightful and I love the quote by D-bo "radio DJ's Job IS to educate", and your job as a club dj is to put bums on seats or rather feet on the floor and to play the bangers whilst maybe dropping a gem on em, we need to start a radio station and play that REAL ISH!!

    ReplyDelete