Saturday 27 February 2010

Maintain & Ultrapeez !! Is Hip Hop Dead????

Monday, November 27, 2006

Is Hip Hop Dead????
Current mood: confused
Category: Music
Well is it?

To be honest I don't know, is it wrong of me to judge today's standards by the by the Hip Hop I grew up on the likes of Tribe called quest, Dela soul, Masta Ase, Gangstarr, Wu tang clan, EPMD, Redman, Ice Cube, Public Enemy, Brand Nubian, Jeru the Damaja, Nas.

Am I being unfair? When I listened to Hip-Hop people didn't really give it recognition as an art form nor music, but after all that's said and done Hip-Hop is still here, so it was inevitable with Hip-Hop's longevity success would come hand and hand with the money and the strategic marketing, find out what sells re-package it and do it over and over again. Which in turn has affected the overall quality but its nice to see artists get paid and set up there own labels and companies and not be left out to dry when they don't sell enough albums/singles.

I long for the old skool creativity and I love the new school recognition guess I'm just going to have to take the rough with the smooth while I wait for the new Nas album………ONE!!


Yes maintain, you said what i been thinking for the past 6 years or more.......I agree, Hip Hop is dead (with a few emcees ressusuatating it from time to time) . I still look forward to hearing artists like: Talib Kweli, Common, Q Tip, Kanye, Nas, Little Brother, Slum Village, Foreign Exchange....so there is hope for us Hip Hop heads yet. but you know me, im old school, and my expectations of Hip Hop is high so I doubt if any new school emcee could take me to that place when I first heard ..."They Reminisce over you.." or "Rebel without a pause" or "Times up" or "So whatcha saying....." lol im getting carried away here. But hey maybe im asking too much??

Posted by ULTRAPEEZ on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:20 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment